FileMaker Pro databases
AlterMedia chose FileMaker Pro, owned by Apple Computer, as the core database running our own Management Information System, in addition to most of our commercial web services. For years FileMaker has been regularly chosen by independent experts over its direct rival, Microsoft Access, but increasingly it is also comparing favourably against the “industrial strength” servers running Fortune 500 companies, especially in terms of price.
A study by Infostructure Associates (Dec., 2005) found that FileMaker’s Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for a 25-client database was only 34% of a similar Oracle database, 37% of MySQL, and 43% of Microsoft. The cost savings became even larger when systems hosting 1000 clients were compared, with FileMaker Pro costing less than 20% of some of the these major-league databases.
Most of our clients already understand the importance of using databases to track production data, inventory, client buying patterns, etc., but are often enduring the limitations of Microsoft Access. The most significant factors in AlterMedia’s decision to adopt FileMaker Pro were the following:
- Its famous ease-of-use for our own staff and clients, including the ability of non-programmers to alter the database often without needing any special skill.
- Its defacto Rapid Application Development environment, allowing us to create, edit, and test applications in a fraction of the time taken by Access.
- Its cross-platform capability for mixed MacOS and PC networks, unlike Access.
- Its scalability from small workgroups up to enterprise-level networks thanks to its server version, unlike Access.
- Its security system that can put password restrictions on an individual field, unlike Access.
If you are considering the creation of a custom database suite for your own company, or need changes made to your existing FileMaker Pro databases, AlterMedia is interested in hearing from you.
For more info
See competitive intelligence
Teach your web design and sales staff how to integrate their efforts to increase visitors to your website and convert the visits to sales.
Famed for its ease of use, robust capabilities, and rapid development time, Filemaker Pro is increasingly the choice for businesses switching from Microsoft Access....